Creating a flavourful herb blend for seasoning your turkey can add depth and aromatic richness to the bird. Here's a classic herb blend that works well for seasoning a traditional roast turkey:
Herb Blend for roast Turkey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Rosemary.
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Thyme.
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Sage.
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Parsley.
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Marjoram or Oregano.
4 cloves garlic, minced.
Zest of one lemon
Salt and black pepper, to taste.
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter.
1. Prepare the Herbs
· Wash and thoroughly dry the fresh herbs. Finely chop the rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, and marjoram (or oregano).
2. Combine Ingredients
· In a bowl, mix the chopped herbs, minced garlic, lemon zest, salt, and black pepper.
3. Create Herb Butter
· Add the herb mixture to the softened butter. Mix until the herbs are evenly distributed throughout the butter.
4. Prepare the Turkey
· Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and pat it dry with paper towels.
· Carefully loosen the skin from the turkey breast and spread some of the herb butter under the skin. This allows the flavours to penetrate the meat.
· Rub the remaining herb butter over the outside of the turkey, ensuring an even coating.
5. Season inside the turkey
· For additional flavour, you can season the inside of the turkey cavity with a couple of lemon halves, fresh herbs, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper or a sausage meat stuffing.
6. Truss the turkey (optional)
· Trussing helps the turkey cook evenly and maintain its shape. Use kitchen twine to tie the legs together and secure the wings against the body.
7. Let it rest
· Allow the seasoned turkey to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before roasting. This helps the bird cook more evenly.
Now, your turkey is ready for roasting. The combination of rosemary, thyme, sage, and other herbs, along with garlic and lemon zest, creates a flavourful and aromatic blend that complements the natural taste of the turkey. Adjust the quantities to suit your preferences, and feel free to experiment with other herbs based on your taste preferences.
Watch out for a great recipe for Sausage Meat Stuffing.